Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Larabar
I saw a picture of these bars with the recipe on Pinterest yesterday. Today I made sure I had all the ingredients and went to work. Amazing! I will be making these again, and maybe some of the other variations* as well!
2 1/2 c medjool dates, pitted
3/4 c almonds, toasted
3/4 c hazelnuts, toasted
3 T cocoa powder
1/4 c dark chocolate, finely chopped (optional)
1. Place the almonds and hazelnuts in the food processor and pulse to coarse bits (not powder).
2. Add the dates and pulse until a gooey semi-paste has formed (you want some bits of fruit and nuts).
3. Add the cocoa powder and dark chocolate and pulse until combined.
4. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8×8 or 9×9 pan, lined with waxed paper, to about 1/2 inch thickness. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 30 minutes.
5. Invert the pan’s contents onto a cutting board and slice to desired size. Wrap individually with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
The original recipes call for processing the nuts and dates separately then kneading to combine. You can certainly do this, but it worked out best for me doing it all in the food processor (especially since putting it together I sliced my thumb on the blade!). The nuts I bought came ready toasted, but you can always toast yourself by placing in a single layer on a baking sheet at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. You can also use other date varieties if you cannot find medjool; however they have different moisture contents, so your result may be less “tacky” and a little more crumbly. Not any less tasty though!
It wouldn’t be hard to modify some other of the recipes from Lärabar… I must try some and experiment. More on this later!